Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Remembering Again

I've been married four times. For nine years.

Four times I've had the question, "Do you take this man?" asked of me. It was simple and classic, it was beautiful and fancy, it was quick and functional, and it was casual and friendly.

My family is all in another state, and my mother wasn't able to travel, especially not for a whole weekend. I wanted her to be at my wedding. But I also wanted to have a big fancy wedding and invite all my friends locally. And I couldn't do both. Could I? And if I did, would I remember to do everything I was supposed to do?

Two wedding dresses & two veils. One my mother's, one my own.














Twice standing at an altar reciting vows and receiving rings. Three pastors, two ceremonies, two rituals.














Twice we sat at a table with three friends and repeated a quick set of the same.

Twice we had huge meals with many family members and tons of friends to help us celebrate.









Once we had a normal meal with a few friends who joked and smirked and winked.

Three times we cut the cake.

Only once did I smear it.










Once we jammed and danced all night long.
















Once we forgot our marriage license. And once we filled it out incorrectly. Twice we had one notarized.
But now it will be nine times that we have celebrated our marriage. Nine years that have passed since we laughed over forgetting so many things. Nine years since we first were man and wife. Nine years since we were second man and wife. There are still a few more months until our third and fourth 9th anniversaries.

Am I wiser, truer, braver? Have I grown stronger, tougher, more faithful? Am I cuter, sweeter, more giving? I hope so.

He's more honest, more willing, more open. He became more handsome, more serving, more thoughtful. He does more than I ask, gives more than I deserve, provides all I need.

I never have more fun with anyone. I always trust his judgement. He never treats me badly. He always puts me first. We never doubt the future. We always embrace the present.

I love you, my sweet. My George, my pooh bear, my snookie-wookums. My tall, handsome hero. My rock star. I adore you, I treasure you, I respect you, I believe in you, I love you.

Nine more years will pass us by too quickly. Sometimes I wish we could stay in today forever.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

What an awesome tribute to your marriage(s) and your husband! May you have many, many, many more years of loving and growing together.

anne said...

Thanks Jenn! :) I know I am exceedingly blessed with a guy as great as I have. Plus, he's super hot.

mommy2isaac said...

Great story Anne ! thank you for sharing it. May the Lord bless you with many more blissful years.

Jean said...

You two are super great and here's to many more four more nine year anniversaries! :)