Monday, August 06, 2007

Monday Morning Movie Review -- 5 Stars

Sunday nights we tend to stay up late and either catch the latest episode of The 4400 or, if we're saving it to be able to watch two episodes in a row, we'll watch a movie.

For the past two years, we have scored from my brother's cache of films and watched Shaun of the Dead for Halloween. It's a ridiculously funny zombie movie and while there are a couple gross scenes, it's not scary. I can't do scary without nightmares.

When we saw the previews for Hot Fuzz, we knew we were going to have to see it. The same main actors and directors from Shaun and what looked like more hilarious dead-pan comedy. That's the big thing with these movies. The characters take everything so seriously and yet it is so funny.

Fuzz didn't disappoint. The filming was creative and eye-catching, the plot was clever, and the acting, as expected, was top-notch. There was so much dry humor and catchy dialogue that we found ourselves laughing at the strangest times. Again, there was a little bit of gross-ness in killing off some of the bad guys, but nothing I can't cover my eyes for.

This type of movie isn't for everyone. I love cop movies, action flicks, shoot-em-ups, etc and this fit into the cop-action genre very well without having excessive explosions or gratuitous violence for violence's sake. It's a smart comedy. It's one we're thinking of buying...right along with Shaun. Whatever would happen to our Halloween tradition if my brother ever moved out?!

5 comments:

Carbon said...

yes, we've watched shaun of the dead too. that movie is really in a leaque of it's own, isnt' it?

Unknown said...

It sure is!

Jean said...

I do look forward to previewing these (what someday, I'm sure, will be called classics) movies.

Unknown said...

Oh they will be classics indeed!! I told Jen last night that Halloween is be a Shaun viewing and we might just have to watch Fuzz right after that!!

Anonymous said...

I knew it would be great! I can't wait to see it. And "Shaun of the Dead" is one of my all-time favorites. Chris looks at me like I'm crazy every time I say that, but seriously! He hasn't seen it! I laughed so hard I cried.