Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Garden Box

I am horribly in love with my garden box.

Those beans and lettuce are growing like crazy! This week I will probably pick some of the lettuce and start planting some more. There were a couple rows that didn't come up very well. But that's why you can seed it over and over! Tonight for a grilled chicken salad!

And here is the backyard. Full of growing things and weeds too...Ugh, how I loathe to weed.


I have a question for you, dear internets. There is this one corner of my backyard garden...

...and it does not grow well. I've added new topsoil and nutrient-rich soil, but it's just not having much success. This year I left it alone and just added the dirt, mixed it in.

I'm thinking of adding some new herbs to my collection. I've got oregano, thyme and lavender sitting next to my rhubarb and asparagus. (yes, I realize the last two aren't herbs)

You can actually see the productivity of my garden slope towards that corner. The left is very green and grows well and it just declines down to the right. It's so strange.

Any suggestions as to what I should plant or do to do the dirt in my little corner? I think I've got some pretty green thumbs, but this has stumped me. I just want it to be able to be productive and green!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

water feature.

Stacey said...

I'm in love with your garden box, too. Very cool!

Kris said...

I also have a corner where nothing seems to want to grow...I'm almost afraid to try planting more because I don't want to waste more time and energy and money. I think it just must need better dirt. That is the next thing we will try anyway. Just like you said.
OH, and the cactus...someone told me that it produces buds when it gets a cold snap, and it sounds like you have had a lot of 'unseasonable cold' where you live this year.

Unknown said...

Yes dear, I know you want a water feature....

I don't know about the unseasonable cold...I think we've actually had excessive unseasonable hot this year. Who knows!?

sarah cool said...

PUT IN A HOT TUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melinda said...

I like the garden box too because it gave us some yummy lettuce to eat last night! Mmm....grilled chicken salad...

Unknown said...

Sarah, that would one teeny tiny hot tub!!

I'm hoping the garden will inspire me to eat more salads!! Thanks for sharing in our first '07 garden meal, Melinda!!

Jean said...

a murmuring pond. with little fish.