Sunday, May 11, 2008

Momma's First

Mother's Day always causes one to think of their mother. Obviously. Yet, this year I get to think of myself as well. What kind of mom am I going to be?

Will I overprotect? Will I be too free? Will I be able to fall somewhere comfortably in between?


I remember my mom as having plenty of rules, yes, but loving my brother & I so much in spite of the rules. She made each of us our own stuffed animals. Even when we didn't have much money, she made sure we got presents we loved. I remember her sending me cards when I was at "camp," (Grandma's) and my brother got care packages all the time at college. She showed us her love with her gifts.

Will I be able to have enough rules that Randall will not feel claustrophobic yet she'll know we care enough to make the rules and stick with them? Will I be able to shower her with gifts, yet teach her their value and meaning? Will I be able to make her feel special yet not spoiled?

My mom loved to cook, to bake, to can food. She ate incredibly healthy herself, yet let us eat things we preferred while still getting our veggies in us. She showed us her love with her cooking.

Will I be hardworking? Will I put the effort into making healthy, sustaining food for my family? Will I put the time into working to be frugal and pinch pennies where I have to in order to insure we have enough?

Mom was always a hugger. She never shied away from hugging us and hugging others. She showed us her love with physical affection.

I don't have to ask myself if I will succeed at this. I know that I will want to hug and kiss my daughter even when she prefers I stay away.

Andy got me a pink rose plant, a sweet card and a huge cookie that said, "Mom." Frankly, the cookie is super corny, but it still made me tear right up. I gotta love the guy for his corny-ness. Today will involve church work this morning, prep for a party tonight, a party for my volunteers and then hopefully going to bed early!

I want to cherish my first day. I want to ponder what it means to be good at this job. I want to thank God for the reason I get to participate in this holiday. I want to enjoy being honored. And tomorrow I want to work all the harder to deserve it next year.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

Happy very first mother's day, Anne! :) Sending you a big ol huge hug! :)

Anonymous said...

I saw a sign that read..kids never out grow of their Mother...
You are a wonderful Mother Anne..for I have seen it with my own eyes.

Jean said...

You are and will continue to be a great mom. Randall is so blessed to have you as her mom. Happy (belated) Mother's Day. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes Anne! I'm sorry I didn't let you know sooner...my hubby returned from his trip in the wee hours of the morning of the 4th of May! Then he whisked us off to a cabin in upstate GA for a week and we are just now returning! So, yes, I did have an awesome birthday...and Mother's Day for that matter. Sometimes, I get bummed that my 2 special days out of the year are usually celebrated on back to back days or sometimes on the same day! But this year, I was just happy that we were a family again!
Glad to hear you had a great 1st Mother's Day...isn't it awesome to celebrate?!?! Hannah is now getting to be old enough to actually understand it and even wrote her own name (and her baby sister's) on both my Mother's Day cards and birthday cards. And hubby did good and brought home a bottle of perfume (the scent of which he picked out specifically for me) from the 7-star resort off the coast of Dubai, Saudi Arabia! Can't beat having a military pilot for a husband, right?!?! These are the perks I focus on when he's gone for 4-mos at a time. After the last deployment, it was lingerie from Italy!

Anonymous said...

Okay, hubby corrected me...it's Dubai, United Erab Emirates not Saudi Arabia....I bow to the King of World Geography!! :) And yes, he's standing over my shoulder reading this!

anne said...

Thank you all! Your comments are so sweet.

Glad you got a great vaca with Hubby & your girls, Beck! Those do sound like some fantastic gifts he brings you. Fancy Shmancy! :)