Friday, April 28, 2006

Rooftop Garden


This is my weekend project.

Well, in theory it is. I have a flat roof. And I need more garden space. Thus, I am proposing to build myself a rooftop garden.

There are so many things I have to take into consideration here. The amount of weight my roof can hold is definitely one of them. I am finding different soils that are lighter that should work well. I also should probably find out if I legally have to have a railing on my roof. Then I have to decide on just the right plants to grow that are all shallow rooted.

Lettuce would be a good one. And I could do some strawberries out there. I can do more tomatoes in separate pots too. That always works well.

Cucumbers are shallow. I just have to have enough room for them to crawl around.

Anything in particular you'd like to see me grow on my roof? I'm taking requests. I'll be sure to share anything I grow!

3 comments:

anne said...

I already have cantaloupes sprouting...and only because in theory they will be smaller. I'll let you know...

Hey, when is the Kierkegaarden getting planted? You all need to get busy! :)

Jean said...

anything that I can sample. what about extra herbs or radishes or bush beans?

anne said...

Eww...radishes. Really? Yucko. Definitely beans and herbs though...

Hey Cory, your dad has a million herbs doesn't he? I need to find out which ones are best to put in my garden. I currently have lavender, rosemary, mint, and thyme. Inside I have basil, sage, and parsley. What else do I need?