Friday, March 16, 2007

Books I Have Bought Or Aquired Recently (Meaning the Past Couple Years) That Need Reading

Life of Pi (am in the middle of this one at the moment) by Yann Martel

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Cornerstone by Zoe Oldenbourg

The Book of Lights by Chaim Potok

Nevermore by William Hjortsberg

How Green was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

Paradise Lost by John Milton

Naked by David Sedaris

Cause Caleb by Helen Fielding

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

The Deep Green Sea by Robert Olen Butler

Anthem by Ayn Rand

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Patrick by Stephen Lawhead

The Gunslinger (a 7 book series) by Stephen King

The Historian by Elizabth Kostova

Blindness by Jose Saramango

Arthur & George by Julian Barnes

Sex God by Rob Bell

The Song of Albion (a 3 book series) by Stephen Lawhead

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

Mossflower by Brian Jacques

The Gift of Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

Prague by Arthur Phillips

Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus

Poland by James A. Michener

Silence by Shusaku Endo

Pray to Live by Henri Nouwen

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Paradise Alley by Kevin Baker

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

American Pastoral by Philip Roth

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Western Coast by Paula Fox

The Covenant by James A. Michener

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

Lost by Gregory Maguire

Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo

Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer


Not necessarily in that order....

Would you please remind me to stop buying books when I have so many yet to be read? (Not that you should stop giving me books...) I'm rather curious how long it will take me to read them. I rearranged my library so that all of these unread novels and nonfiction alike are together on two (rather cramped) shelves.

You may be thinking I should have read many of these in high school, but although I consumed an excessive amount of books in my schooldays (always winning any reading contest) there were many that escaped my perusement. I'll try to give an update now and then on which I find myself loving and which don't meet my approval ratings.

This excites me. Seriously--to have so many unread books together in one spot is fabulous. The other portion of my assignment is to reorganize the rest of the library into genre (more specifically) and author. To then sit back in my chair in the sunshine with a mug of coffee and dive in. Not to emerge for several months.

9 comments:

Jean said...

I will leave food at your door so you don't starve. :)

I'll try to get Wicked done this weekend so you can peruse it before next weekend. :)

You've compiled quite a list! I'll hold off on picking any up at the library for you..... :)

Unknown said...

Thanks...the food will help. I'll read with one hand and grab it out of your hands with the other...

:)

Anonymous said...

"Life of Pi" is one of my all-time favorite books, especially the parts dealing with religion. I wrote a sermon based on it a few years ago. I think you should read that one first. :)

Hillary said...

AAAAHH! I forgot to get Wicked out! Waaah. Maybe I can borrow it from a library near my friend's place.

And I really liked Life of Pi. It was really interesting.

And yes, wow, that is a humungo booklist! Yowza!

Frannie Farmer said...

Wow. I was thinking that was a ton of books, but I know if I were to look carefully - I probably have bought just as many.

Unknown said...

Laura, I am in the middle of it right now! You have me curious what you wrote about it...

Oh Hills, I hope you can pick up the book...and if not, I can catch you up on any info you need!

It amazed me how many books I have that I haven't read. This isn't even all of them!

Anonymous said...

I second the recommendation to read Life of Pi first.

Enjoy Wicked! It is only my favorite musical of all time. I saw it on the day I went to the city to pick up my wedding dress and won the tickets in a lottery. Last year, I was able to get free tickets to take a class of students to see it on Broadway.

Robert W. said...

Atlas Shrugged is the best book I've ever read. It really changed my life. Didn't exactly change my views but instead gave me great confidence that they were correct. It take a lot of determination to get through it but well worth it!

Unknown said...

Pll--I got through Fountainhead, so I'm not worried about the plowing through. And I don't really agree with her on a lot of things, but love so much her writing style and the thinking it provokes. I am definitely looking forward to this one!