Saturday, March 10, 2007

Friday Afternoon Project

This was a project I have had sitting in the corner for many months now. For years, my necklaces have been jumbled together in a random box to be fished out every so often and untangled for wearing.

Wandering through Hobby Lobby I got the idea of using a shadow box to hang them up. It could be colorful wall decor and a practical place to store my jewelry.











Once I sat down to get it done, it really didn't take very long at all. I broke the glass out of the box months ago, so that step was already done. Then I cut the cork board into the right size, hot glued the fabric onto the board, arranged the necklaces into a shape and order that I liked and pushed in the earring studs to hold everything into place.

Hubby hung it up in my dressing room today. I think I'll actually wear these pieces more often now that I can see them and pick them out much more easily. Plus, it was interesting to see how much pink jewelry I have. Apparently it's my favorite color.

7 comments:

Jean said...

that turned out to be really cute!!! Did the earrings work ok?

Unknown said...

They were so perfect! I'm glad you found them...otherwise I'd have been stuck with weird sequin pushpins!

sarah cool said...

That is so fun! I've seriously been contemplating this for a long time, as well!! Seeing your finished product is giving me motivation to start!!

Hillary said...

A cute idea indeed! My necklaces jsut hang on my towel rod in my bathroom. Bor-ring. This is a great idea!

Kris said...

That looks really nice! my last shadow box project was a disaster, maybe I should use it for something like this instead...

Frannie Farmer said...

Love it. I think I will make one for HeartBreaker and SweetiePie ... it is perfect!

Carbon said...

I hang my necklaces, earring and rings inside a closet door. I bought these hook things at hte hardware store and screwed them into the door. The bad thing is that everytime I open the door, they clang. Oh well :) Great job!